Men's Soccer Goes 1-1 on their Last Two Games

Men's Soccer Goes 1-1 on their Last Two Games

On Thursday, September 18th, Saints continued their fine form with another 2-1 against regional competition. Making the short trip into New York the saints were without top scorer and captain Michael Lennox due to suspension, looking for inspiration from the 9 freshman players named in the starting line up.

The saints started with promise led by sophomore defender Eric Kennedy (Springfield), finding space to attack on both flanks for freshman wingers Desnerck (Southwestern) and Connors (Girard). In form striker Matt Schenberg (Saegertown) went close with a header from a Connors cross, while Chase Hoffman (Mercer) threatened to break the deadlock on two separate occasions.

It was sophomore striker Dean Shousher who led by example in finding the opening goal after 30 minutes. The Oregon, OH native latched onto a Devin Mason (Girard) through ball and placed a low shot past the oncoming Kats' goalkeeper. 1-0. No more than the saints deserved.

Erie CC rallied shortly after conceding the goal and began mounting a number of attacks through a lively midfield. Less than 5 minutes after taking the lead the saints were back on level terms after failing to clear an attack from the left side. A cool finish from the Erie CC striker leveled the game 1-1

1-1 HT

In a close contest the game was evenly contested, without a single yellow card shown in the whole match. Stalwart defensive performances by Angelo (Harborcreek) and Kennedy ensured the game stayed finally poised, until the breakthrough came for the saints midway through the second half.

Strong work down the left from Hoffman led to a crossing opportunity, as the Mercer native struck the ball with venom across the ECC 6 yard box. The Kats' goalkeeper struggled to claim the ball, only managing to deflect the ball into a grateful Matt Schenbergs' path. The pint sized striker made no mistake in claiming his second in as many games and his first collegiate game winning goal.

2-2 Final

On Saturday, September 20th, the Saints lost for the 1st time in 6 games  against a strong Potomac state team. Despite a host of chances the saints couldnt find the back of the net and move to 7-3-0 on the season.

Final 0-2

The Saints are back in action Monday as they take on ECC once again, but at Vineyard Field on the campus of Mercyhurst North East at 4:00.